Gujarati Mohanthal Recipe
Mohanthal is a traditional sweet of Gujarat and this sweet is generally made during Janmashtami. This sweet is made from gram flour, sugar and flavored with cardamom. This sweet has nice texture, sweet aroma, and a wonderful flavor. This sweet dish can be easily made at your with available ingredients. Try this sweet in your home and enjoy with your loved once.
- 2 cupsbesan (gram flour)
- 3 tbspmelted ghee
- 6 tbspmilk
- 1 cupmelted ghee
- 1 1/4 cupssugar
- 2 tspmilk
- 1 tbsprose water, optional
- 1/4 tspcardamom (elaichi) powder
- 1/4 tspsaffron (kesar) strands
- 1/2 tapoil for greasing
- 10-12pistachio slivers for sprinkling
- 10-12almond (badam) slivers for sprinkling
- In a bowl, add the saffron strands and ½ tsp warm water, mix it well and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add the besan, 3 tbsp of melted ghee and 3 tbsp of milk and mix it well by using your fingertips till no lumps remain.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes and then break the lumps lightly with your fingertips and sieve it using a sieve with big holes and keep it aside.
- Heat the ghee in a brass vessel on a high flame for 1 minute and add the sieved besan mixture, mix it well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, or till the mixture turns brown in color and stir continuously.
- Once done, switch off the flame and keep it aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix it well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes and stir continuously.
- Add 2 tsp of milk, mix it well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Remove the dirt that floats on the sugar mixture and discard it and cook it on a low flame for 7 minutes, or till the syrup is of 1. 5 thread consistency and stir occasionally.
- Add the rose water and mix it well and keep it aside.
- Add the cardamom powder, saffron-water mixture and the prepared sugar syrup to the cooled besan mixture, mix it well and stir for approx. 3 to 4 minutes and stir continuously or till the mixture cools.
- Add the 3 tbsp of milk and mix it well and grease a 200 mm. (8”) diameter thali with oil and pour the mixture into it and spread it evenly by using a flat spatula.
- Sprinkle the pistachio and almond slivers evenly over it and pat it lightly and keep it aside to cool completely for 1 to 2 hours.
- Then cut into equal sized pieces and store in an airtight container and enjoy it whenever you want to.
- At step no 11, 3 tbsp of milk should be added only if the mixture has thickened a bit and not smooth enough to pour into a thali.
- This sweets stays fresh for 10 days when stored in an airtight container at the room temperature.
- Energy 115 cal
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 10.9 g
- Fiber 1.3 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Vitamin A 68.8 mg
- Vitamin B1 0 mg
- Vitamin B2 0 mg
- Vitamin B3 0.2 mg
- Vitamin C 0.1 mg
- Folic Acid 12.2 mg
- Calcium 11.1 mg
- Iron 0.5 mg
- Magnesium 0 mg
- Phosphorus 0 mg
- Sodium 6.5 mg
- Potassium 61.3 mg
- Zinc 0.2 mg
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- KFC Veg Rice Bowl Recipe
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Best Homemade Grape Wine Recipe
- Crispy South Indian Medu Vada Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Marathi Dish - Vada Pav Recipe
- Homemade Mutton Paya Recipe
- Onion and Karela Sabji Recipe
- Easy South Indian Masala Dosa Recipe