Gujarati Khatti Meethi Dal Recipe
In general usage, ‘Khatti’ means sour and ‘Meethi’ means sweet. So, this is an easy Gujarati dal having sweet and sour taste and will be specially liked by Gujarati people who love myriad flavors and textures in one dish. Check out the recipe of a Gujarati speical khatti meethi dal in a step by step process.
- 3/4 cupArhar dal/tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 1green chili
- 3/4Inch ginger
- 1 tspGinger green chili paste
- 2 tbspPeanuts/moongphali
- 1/2 tspTurmeric powder/haldi powder
- 2.5 cupsWater for pressure cooking
- 1.5 to 2 cupsCups water to be added later
- 2 tbspOrganic jaggery powder or grated jaggery
- 3 to 4Dried kokums
- as requiredsalt
for the tempering:
- 1.5 tbspGhee
- 1/2 tspMustard seeds/rai
- 1/2 tspCumin seeds/sabut jeera
- 1/2 tspFenugreek seeds/sabut methi
- 2 to 3Small dry red chilies(halved and deseeded)
- 6-7Curry leaves/kadi patta
- a pinchAsafoetida/hing
- 1 inchCinnamon/dal chini
- Rinse the dal thoroughly in water for 4-5 times.
- Put dal in a pressure cook with 2.5 cups of water, turmeric, ginger-green chili paste and peanuts.
- Cook it for about 7 to 8 minutes on a medium flame
- Mash the dal with a spoon.
- Then add 2 cups of water to the dal.
- Add jaggery powder, kokums and salt and cook the dal for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium flame.
- Heat the ghee in a pan. First, crackle the mustard seeds
- Then add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and fry till they are browned.
- Then add the curry leaves, red chilies, cloves, cinnamon and asafoetida.
- Stir for few seconds. pour this mixture on the simmering dal and continue to simmer for 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Garnish the dal with coriander leaves if you want.
- Serve the gujarati khatti meethi dal with rice or with jeera rice.
This is a common recipe for the people of Gujarat in there daily food. You can have this dal in roti’s.
For more recipes - Gujarathi Special Recipes
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Best Homemade Grape Wine Recipe
- KFC Veg Rice Bowl Recipe
- Crispy South Indian Medu Vada Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Homemade Mutton Paya Recipe
- Marathi Dish - Vada Pav Recipe
- Onion and Karela Sabji Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe