Homemade Tarka Dal Recipe
Making Tarka Dal is not at all a difficult deal. Serving this with rice or chapathi will make a great and simple supper. Here, the recipe is with channa dhal, but you can also use split dhal that will give you a smoother recipe of the same taste. You can experiment with whatever kind of lentil you want. There is no restriction. Freshly cut coriander can make the dal taste even better.
- 150g dried chana dhalor chickpeas soaked overnight in cold water
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoonsunflower oil
- 1 tablespoonmustard seeds
- 1⁄2 tablespooncumin seeds
- A pinch ofground turmeric
- 10curry leaves
- 1onion, sliced
- 5green chillies, sliced
- 3garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoongaram masala
- 3large tomatoes, chopped
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Rinse the lentils in a large bowl and keep it aside for some time. After 15-20 minutes transfer it in a cooker and start heating it. Let the whistle go up to 3-4 times and then you can set it aside.
- Now, heat oil and add curry leaves and mustard seeds into the pan. Allow it to pop.
- Add onions, ginger garlic paste and stir well. You can also add chilies for extra taste and aroma. Let it cook for a while.
- Add garam masala powder, salt and now add the chopped tomatoes. Let the mixture cook well for a while.
- Once you feel the fragrance, add the cooked dhal into the mixture. Bring it to simmer and let it cook for a while – for about 10-15 minutes.
- Adding more water will give you the quantity and make the dhal more watery. If you wish for it to be thick, don’t add a lot of water. Depends on how you want your dhal to be.
- Now, garnish it with a lot of coriander. Season well.
Once you are done with this, serve hot with chapathi, cut raw onions and lemon. Your tarka dal is ready!
Various Dal Varieties & Health Benefits
- Be the first Review [Click Here]
Top Recipes Collection
- South Indian Pork Curry Recipe
- Best Homemade Grape Wine Recipe
- KFC Veg Rice Bowl Recipe
- Crispy South Indian Medu Vada Recipe
- Aachari Paneer Tikkas - Indian Food Recipe
- Chilled Mojitos Recipe
- Homemade Mutton Paya Recipe
- Marathi Dish - Vada Pav Recipe
- Onion and Karela Sabji Recipe
- Ramzan Special Chicken Biryani Recipe